Stafford Prison was originally built in 1793. From May 1916 it largely housed those men who had been arrested in the wake of the Rising but who had not appeared before a court martial in Dublin. As many of them were internees their stay in Stafford was relatively short before they were moved to Frongoch Camp. The Irish prisoners were held in two newly built blocks at Stafford, but prisoners did later recall that conditions there were harsh. Prisoners held at Stafford included Michael Collins, Darrell Figgis and James Ryan. Stafford Prison was unused after 1916 until it began accepting prisoners again in 1939. It remains a working prison.
Related books: Stafford Jail & Frongoch 1916